Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Books

I can finally show you a photo of what I made my sister for her birthday as I handed it to her today.

I made her a book. Many years ago I attended some book making classes. I sat down and tried to remember how to make a book. This was the result. To make it special I put one of her favourite poems in it. It is a fully bound book with a spine and hand sewn sections. I did the marbled paper a number of years ago. I am getting low on my marbled paper so might have to try to remember how to do that again also. I had to improvise with the book cloth because, while I am sure I have some around somewhere, I couldn't find it. Therefore the spine and corners are made using a piece of an old window blind.




I've also recently been thinking about hollowing out a book for use as a book box for a miniature scene so tonight I had a very rough attempt at using an old book that was destined for the scrap heap. It has no relevance to the scene I quickly threw in it - a page from a magazine and a miniature plant. I just did it as a quick experiment. I think it is worth trying a more carefully planned attempt with a book and a scene that go together.



And finally I did another quick experiment tonight - nothing measured and little care taken, but I just wanted to see if I could use full scale book making methods to make a miniature book. This book is a relatively big book in miniature terms at 1 inch height but it worked. I need to look around for some suitable papers but it is possible. This little book also has hand sewn sections (sewn with beading thread) and also has a spine. Definitely worth more experimenting.



Well that was my play for tonight. I'd better go and do the dishes and head to bed.

A friend of mine has just sent me some off cuts of some vintage wallpapers, some of them are very old from the early 1900s. I'll take some photos and share them with you later in the week. I just love old wallpaper designs.

Until then have a great week.

15 comments:

  1. Your books are superb! What a beautiful and personal gift for your sister the big book is and the miniature book is a real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am speechless, the human sized book is perfection and the miniature book is incredible. I'm sure your sister was blown away! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love the scene in the book! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So perfect, Your sister is a lucky gal ;P That mini version is divine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the book scene ..great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Shari, your mini book is so cute!! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your experiments and your wonderful gift for your sister. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to seeing the antique wallpaper too! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scene in the book is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a thoughtful Sister you are..can I adopt you as my Sister? ;0)
    Love both books. I think your skill with the full-scale one shows in how well the miniature version turned out. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharee,
    You truly are a talented woman! The books are great, I love the one with the scene.
    Teresa
    sugar, spice and whatever's nice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharee,

    What a truly special one of a kind gift for your sister! Love all your book projects!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharee, what a thoughtful gift for your sister. Your talents seem never ending...marbling paper, book making, minis. Everything looks fantastic and I love the book scene.
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Sharee! I LOVE all your book projects!!! The one you made for your sister is Gorgeous!!! And the hollow books project is something I have wanted to try since I was a child.... just never knew which book to "sacrifice"! LOL! Your mini book is also perfect! I have been meaning to try my hand once more at mini books... I always wanted to make them"real" and like you, I have made some in RL so I know what is involved! You have done a Wonderful job!!! You have inspired me to get going on those "someday" book projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a thoughtful gift for your sister, Sharee! The scene you have made, is wonderful! The mini book is gorgeous, love it! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete